Rise of Age of Earth

Daemian Lucifer

Rise of Age of Earth

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Well,since age of empires 2 has its hd edition now,Id like to open a discussion/comparison of three RTS games that are very similar,and Ive enjoyed in the past decade(wow,its been that long already):Age of empires,empire earth and rise of nations.

While age of empires was the opener of this genre,and is the most well known series,I find it the least enjoyable of the three.Dont get me wrong,I still like these games,but I think the other two are much better.

Empire earth (the first one with its expansion) is my favourite,though its not the most polished ones.But the sheer amount of epochs to explore(15 ages from stone age to far future filled with mechs),the incredible customization of both your civilization and individual units,and the engaging campaigns are what makes this game one of my favorites.Sadly,its sequels werent that good.The second game removed lots of customization I liked in the original,and the third game was just abysmal.

Rise of nations is the most polished of the three,but its also quite rigid,which is why its in the second place for me.Still,it is a very good game with lots of innovation subsequently used by other games,and Ive sunk many hours into conquering the world with various civilizations.
Thomas

Re: Rise of Age of Earth

Postby Thomas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Age of Empires 2 is one of my all time favourite games. When I skirmished I normally played on most advanced start off though, going through the tech tree wasn't super fun. My favourite strategy was to turtle up with bombard towers and starve the AI of resources (or to get packs of longbowmen and stand them in the middle of a field and watch everything die)
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:10 am

I read this title and my first thought was 10/10, would buy.

It was pretty awesome, about 3 weeks before the HD remake was announced, I posted on my facebook: "If they remade AoEII and did nothing but make multiplayer work better, I'd buy it." Three weeks later, I got to put my money where my mouth was.

(The facebook post was in response to me discovering this strip: http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=013111, which is hilarious)
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:41 am

Age of Empires 2 is the last RTS game I've played for any meaningful length of time, not necessarily because it's the best - I've played nowhere near enough of them to be able to judge that - but because it just happened to be the game my siblings and I settled on as being the most agreeable to play on home LANs. So while the "conventional" RTS genre (i.e. build a base, build units, kill the other guy's base) is one I inherently dislike, I honestly say I have fond memories of this particular one. The AoE2HD edition seems a total waste of money though seeing as I can't see anything it does better than the free UserPatch.

That said, as a purely mental exercise I'd also say it works the best for me conceptually out of the aforementioned counterparts - I prefer the focused timeline of AoE both from the point of historical interest and tighter "realistic" gameplay as opposed to the genericised sprawl necessitated by the broader timespan.

The counterpoint is of course, Civilization, my favouriteist game evar. But I guess the difference here is one of what I play as a building game, and of what I play as a war game.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Ah, Empire Earth. The game that ruined me for Starcraft.

So, I'm relatively a kid, and didn't get a copy of Starcraft until, well... I had all but lost my attraction for those kinds of RTS games. I viewed Starcraft as essentially a twitch experience but with hotkeys and attack moves instead of tight jumps or three-sixty noscope snipes. And the problem was, that I had gorged myself on that type of game in playing Empire Earth multiplayer, throwing myself into deathmatch rushes to build a billion cavalry at once or in Stone Age games where you'd creep towers towards your enemies because those epochs lacked a range siege weapon. My tastes soon changed though to slower games with more strategies and mechanics and depth to the battles, and that's when I bought a used copy of Starcraft from a schoolmate and... gave it a resounding "meh."

So the real reason why I don't care about Starcraft in the slightest? Empire Earth.

Also, Just In Time Manufacturing. I want to know who thought of that and why they didn't think it was broken completely.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri May 31, 2013 5:42 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Rise of Nations nails it better than Empire Earth, though it may just be because Empire Earth had the worst minimap in existence.
I am not even sure why they bothered, it was that bad.

However,empire earth had way more customization.You had both civilization specific customization,that you could just do in-game,without relying on predefined ones,and unit specific customization.Your opponent beating you with slow hard hitting units?Boost your range,and give 'em hell!Though rise of nation had it better with all units being upgradeable,so you didnt have to manually kill off obsolete ones.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Though rise of nation had it better with all units being upgradeable,so you didnt have to manually kill off obsolete ones.

Or you pull off the trick in that you only need to research the latest unit upgrade, and the ones in-between are unnecessary.
If you can skip ahead a few ages before needing to go to war, you can save yourself some resources you could invest elsewhere.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Not the one I liked the best,but still a good game is getting updated.Rise of nations extended edition is soon going to be a thing.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:19 am

Trix2000 wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:I cannot put up with Empire Earth's abomination of a minimap for very long.
It's got a resolution of about sixteen pixels, it is the worst map I have ever seen.

Completely and totally agreed. It's basically useless.

...Despite that, I played several hours of it already, so it's still got that going for it. I'm having a bit of fun with it, but I can really feel some of the old design now.

Yup,thats a game Id definitely want an hd remake of.

Im thinking of going back so I can try one of the crazier mods that caused a crash last time I tried it:The mod for 25000 units on a map(or was that 50000?).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:13 am

4th Dimension wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:Yes but it has a robo Optimus Stalin that you fight through timetravel.

But first you get to use it to conquer the world.

And that conquest for me is the highlight of the game since not often do you see such scenario with that country. For me the "betrayal" was tacked on bullshit, but to each their own I guess.

Its your standard man vs machine shtick.I like it however because of how similar,but different the last map is.Also,you get to use super nuke bombers,which is great.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:48 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Im thinking of going back so I can try one of the crazier mods that caused a crash last time I tried it:The mod for 25000 units on a map(or was that 50000?).

As long as they aren't ships. Seriously, the ship positioning/pathfinding is also incredibly bad (even though I really really like some of the ship sound/animations). Even with <10 of them I was running into issues getting them around, not helped by the fact that the screen was only big enough to see maybe half of them at once.

Return to “Videogames”